Friday, May 21, 2010

How do I know which of my outdoor plants/flowers will come back after the freeze we just had?

I sure heave some dead and cold flowers out there. I just planted them last week - hostas and pansies etc.

How do I know which of my outdoor plants/flowers will come back after the freeze we just had?
Depends on the type of plant really...can't give you much more information other than that when I don't know what you have in the ground.





The pansies might come back, but I doubt it. They're a very vascular plant (water in the stems/leaves) and if they froze, then the tissue will die and they will die too.





Your hostas should be fine. They will get brown edges and if it was really cold, they will get frost burn pretty bad but they should manage to survive. Make sure not to cut the dead stalks back until you are sure it won't freeze again, however, because cutting the stalks off will encourage the plant to send up new stalks and the tender growth will be more vulnerable to the cold.





Good luck!
Reply:Pansies will probably live. Hostas 50/50. I'm pushing for summertime too, but give it about another 2 weeks.

sandals church

No comments:

Post a Comment