Monday, November 16, 2009

What is the maximum lifespan of a Pansy?

My plant is a "Giant Supreme" pansy, of a deep purple/indigo variety - it has lasted so far 8 months of continuous flowering, and now has 28 heads on average at one time - it's HUGE!





It has never been allowed for it to even have one flower go to seed - and have taken 2 successful cuttings from it





When should I take the final cuttings (southern hemisphere - going into winter here) - and then the seeds, before it dies? I'm too scared to let even one head go to seed lest the plant stop trying to propogate itself naturally and stop producing flowers.





I understand under certain conditions this plant can be a short lived perrenial rather than a strict annual

What is the maximum lifespan of a Pansy?
I can see why you wouldn't want to cut it down. However, you should let it go to seed. Then you would get the pleasure of growing another one. 8 months is a long time to have flowers it must be a beautiful plant. I love flowers myself, but I have no idea of how long this one would last. Sorry, I can't help you.
Reply:Plants grow well in sunny or partially sunny positions in well draining soils. Pansies are developed from viola species that are normally biennials with a two-year life cycle.





and more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pansy


No comments:

Post a Comment